PAth to Literacy
An Intervention for young children struggling with phonological awareness and alphabet knowledge
Author: Howard Goldstein PhD, CCC-SLP
Recommended Ages: 4-6
Prevent later reading difficulties with this highly effective Tier 2 intervention developed for children ages 4 to 6 who need help with key early literacy skills. This supplemental curriculum builds phonological awareness and alphabet skills through fun activities that keep children engaged as they learn.
Young children will learn how to:
- blend and segment words
- identify first parts of words
- identify first sounds of words
- learn letter names
- master lettersound correspondence
How does PAth to Literacy work?
Deliver PAth to Literacy right in your classroom to small groups of students who struggle with phonological awareness and alphabet skills. In just 10 to 15 minutes a day, you'll give students:
- Scripted instruction. Using the included scripts and the word and picture cards, you'll play fun word games with your students. Children listen and respond to your prompts.
- Explicit teaching and modeling. You'll show your students word and picture cards with target words and sounds. Then you'll model key skills for them by sounding out words and dissecting them through physical gestures.
- Multiple opportunities for practice. Each engaging, multisensory lesson encourages active participation and provides multiple chances for students to repeat sounds, observe actions, and answer questions.
All children in the group participate in 2 lessons each week; children needing additional support participate in a third lesson. The full curriculum consists of 36 lessons that take approximately 24-36 instructional days to complete.
PAth to Literacy includes
- Teacher's manual with 36 lesson scripts, lesson data sheets, progress monitoring assessments, attendance record sheet, fidelity of implementation observation form and scoring guide
- More than 450 4-color instructional cards and word sheets
- Storage box with dividers
- Online materials
- Lesson data sheets and assessments
- Professional development modules with video clip examples