Oral and Written Language Scales-II (OWLS-II)
Author(s): Elizabeth Carrow-Woolfolk, PhD
- Receptive & Expressive Language
- Individual / Group (Written Only)
- Ages 3 through 21 years (Oral), 5 through 21 (Written)
- Qualification Level B
This new edition, the OWLS-II, provides a global approach to language assessment with the addition of a new, fourth scale, Reading Comprehension; and a Profile Form, to show scores graphically (included in the test kit and available by free download). The OWLS-II looks at language structures (lexical/semantics, syntax, pragmatics, and supralinguistics) across four discrete language processes:
- Listening Comprehension
- Oral Expression
- Reading Comprehension
- Written Expression.
Each of these scales addresses four linguistic structures:
Because its four scales measure both receptive and expressive oral and written language structures, cover a wide age range, and are co-normed, the OWLS-II is an excellent way to:
- identify students with learning disabilities, language disorders, and related difficulties in accordance with IDEA requirements
- Design targeted interventions that address potential academic difficulties
- Monitor progress using the new parallel form
- Gather longitudinal data for research purposes.
OWLS-II thus provides a comprehensive profile that can identify language delays, as well as strengths and weaknesses. Norms have been updated, and a new handbook, Foundations of Language Assessment, is included in the test kit to explain the theoretical basis of the OWLS-II.
Administration and Scoring
The four scales can be administered separately or together (each takes 1025 minutes). Composite scores for Oral Language, Written Language, Receptive Processing, Expressive Processing, and Overall Language Processing are reported as standard scores, percentile ranks, and age equivalents.
The complete OWLS-II test kit is contained in two soft cases, and weighs 25 lbs.