Test of Handwriting Skills-Revised (THS-R)
Visual-motor integration difficulties can foreshadow learning problems
Author(s): Michael Milone, PhD
- Visual-Motor (sensory) Integration
- Ages 6-0 through 18-11
- Individual/Group Admin.
- Testing/Scoring Time: 25 minutes
- Qualification Level B
The THS-R is an untimed, clinical assessment of neurosensory integration skills evident in handwriting (both manuscript and cursive) that are often disrupted in students with learning difficulties. The THS-R provides standardized assessment of children's handwriting ability for both manuscript and cursive styles that can be used with any of the popular handwriting programs (such as Palmer, Zaner-Bloser, D'Nealian). The THS-R is not a classroom assessment of penmanship.
Results of the THS-R can be used to:
- identify neurosensory integration problems
- monitor progress of students with disabilities
- determine if neurosensory integration difficulties are contributing to students' learning problems
- guide instructional or rehabilitation practices
(Click image to Enlarge)
Changes to the new edition include:
- norms extended through age 18 (manuscript and cursive)
- nationally stratified norms
- simplified scoring procedures
- clarified scoring criteria
- handwriting exemplars that reflect current styles including D'Nealian, Handwriting Without Tears, Universal, and Zaner-Bloser
- abbreviated administration procedures
- scoring examples
- scoring training video
Testing and scoring time approximately 25 minutes. The Manual now provides guidance on how the THS-R can be used for progress monitoring. Also included is a video tutorial to assist practitioners in the scoring process. Subtest scores are reported as scaled scores and percentile ranks, and an Overall standard score has been added. The THS-R was normed on 1,500 U.S. individuals.
THS-R Practical Guide to Handwriting
Available separately, the reproducible Practical Guides to Handwriting: Cursive and Manuscript provide numerous exercises for students who may be experiencing visual-motor difficulties.